History of our Parish
Our first church property was acquired in Aptos on August 14, 1874, when Claus Spreckels deeded the five acres now used for the cemetery,Resurrection Church and Markey Community Center. According to the Monterey Diocese Pastoral Office, a cemetery had earlier been deeded to the Diocese by Rafael Castro, this property being later traded with the Spreckels family.
In 1875, the Aptos Church, titled Lady of Mt. Carmel, was built by five pioneers. It measured 45 by 120 feet and lasted until 1924, at which time it was sold by the then pastor (later bishop) Rev. Philip Scher. Mt.Carmel Parish was established in 1903 in Aptos. About the same time, property in Capitola was transferred to the Bishop of Monterey-Los Angeles by the F.A. Hinh Company. Our Lady of Carmel finally became known as St. Joseph’s, and moved its place of worship from Aptos to Capitola.
Tribute must be given to the Rev. Francis L. Markey, who was responsible as pastor of St. Joseph’s (1960-1968) and then of Resurrection (1968-1974), for his dedicated work in building up the Resurrection Community. The succession of pastors since Fr. Markey have been: Fr. Victor Farrell (1974-1976), Fr. Jim Frerkes (1976-1978); Fr. Michael Marini (1978-1985); Fr. Michael Adams (1986); Fr. Larry Kambitsch (1986-1993); Fr. Ken Laverone (1993-1997); Fr. Peter Crivello (1997-2004); Fr. Ron Shirley (2004-present).
Resurrection Church was originally planned as a parish hall. Under Fr. Peter Crivello’s guidance and direction ground was broken on the new church in 2000 and in the spring of 2002 we moved into our new house of worship. The original church became our parish hall and is named Markey Community Center.
Now that we have two buildings on our campus it has enabled us to continue to be a growing, thriving community which serves over 1,000 families and has provided for an expansion of ministries to our parishioners as well as to the larger Aptos community.